Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Boo! Halloween Is Coming!

It's Shameless Commerce Tuesday, and with only one week left in September (Yikes!!), that means Halloween is only five weeks away.  So this week, I'm sharing items that will make Halloween preparations a little less scary. 

One of the easiest ways to add a little Halloween charm to your home or work space, is with a bunting.  I've been stocking up on fun black, orange, and Halloween-themed prints to make several reversible, washable, and easy-to-store (fits in a 1-quart baggie and takes up almost no space) Halloween buntings for an October 8 craft fair -- and for my Etsy shop.




I'll also be stitching up some cute Halloween finger puppets to sell at the craft fair.  They would also make cute pencil toppers for older elementary school-aged kids.  This pattern by Precious Patterns is in PDF format, and provides clear instructions for making a host of cute, cute, cute puppets. And the designer gives permission to sell as many as you'd like at craft fairs. 


This year, I've also been tasked with providing treats for the annual Law College trick-or-treat event, when students, faculty and staff can bring their children and grandchildren to trick-or-treat through the offices.  I suggested to my boss that I could make finger puppets / pencil toppers to hand out as treats, and he really liked the idea.  His oldest daughter has food allergies, and he's not too keen on all the sugary snacks.  We may have to have some candy stashed away for the older kids.

In anticipation of that event, I recently purchased this adorable PDF witch finger puppet / pencil topper pattern from Little Black Duck on Etsy.


There are some other cute finger puppets at Little Black Duck, but because the designer does not allow items made from her patterns to be sold, I'll only be making the witches for the office trick-or-treaters. Because there are no buttons, they are safer for the under-3 toddlers and preschoolers. Absent the restrictive use policy, I'd have probably purchased more:


But I couldn't resist the cute little gnome and snowman.  Wouldn't they be cute little stocking stuffers, or little "thank you" gifts?




Ah--but that's another holiday.  For now, I need to stay focused on Halloween!

TTFN
LeAnn

12 comments:

  1. You are going to have so much fun making those little puppets. Felt is a blast to work with. They are so cute and I'll bet they sell great. I can just see the little ones pointing at your display and asking mommy for one, or better yet, Grandma! They are going to look so cute in your display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sher!! My grandkids liked them (my tiny test market).

      Delete
  2. So finger puppets are so adorable! I like the black cat and the bat :)
    I can't believe September is almost over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duni! This whole year seems to have flown by in fast forward!

      Delete
  3. Your finger puppets are too too cute!! Great idea about the pencil toppers too! The witch and the gnome are adorable -- I know how you feel when you love a pattern and find that the finished item can't be sold :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I am happy that some of the most successful pattern sellers on Etsy (TieDyeDiva and Michelle Patterns) DO allow people to sell items made from their patterns. I think their generosity in that regard has contributed to their success.

      Delete
  4. Those finger puppets are so cute! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharla. My grandkids liked them, so their "kid-tested'!

      Delete
  5. Those little finger puppets are SO cute! I love the idea of using them on the top of a pen or pencil too...fun for all ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my first craft fair marketing them as finger puppets / pencil toppers --but it widens the age range, I think.

      Delete
  6. love your finger puppets! And I've been thinking of making some sort of banner to hang in the house, like your bunting. Need to make a list! {:-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The finger puppets are fun. Time consuming, but so cute. Buntings are quick and easy--and easy to store.

      Delete