Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Einstein Got That Right!

This image showed up in my Facebook news feed yesterday, and I thought it was worth sharing.

 

Thanks to Howard Gardner and others, we now know that there are multiple intelligences.  Gardner's book, Intelligence Reframed: Multiple Intelligences for the 21st Century, New York:  Basic Books (1999) identified  Spatial, Linguistic, Logical-Mathematical, Bodily-Kinesthetic, Musical, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal and Naturalistic intelligences.  And most of those intelligences are not measured on the standardized tests mandated by No Child Left Behind, or ACT, SAT and GRE exams.  

 

I also believe we each have innate or God-given gifts beyond the realm of intelligences, which might include, but are not limited to St. Paul's lists of spiritual gifts in Romans 12:6-8 and I Corinthians 12:8-28.    

 

One of my greatest challenges as a parent, grandparent, and mentor has been to help children discover and value their unique gifts and to help them explore and develop their talents.    I remember when my son Jeff was very little (probably 3), he would sometimes start talking about things, and I would say, "Jeffrey, how did you know that?"  And he would reply, very matter-of-factly, "I thunk it up in my own brain!"  He's now an economic analyst at the Congressional Budget Office, where his grown up brain gets to do quite a lot of thinking.

 

Imagine what a wonderful home, workplace, or community we could build if each person was allowed to play to his or her strengths.

 

TTFN

LeAnn aka pasqueflower

http://pasqueflowerponderings.blogspot.com

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pasqueflower

 

2 comments:

  1. This is so absolutely right on target. If only parents realized how much their little comments affect their children's lives. We are all perfect and unique in our own way. God doesn't make imperfect people.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Amen. I wish I would have known my talents before I chose my major in college, but the good news is, I am exploring those talents now. All I want for my little Luci is that she knows how special and amazing her talents really are.

    ReplyDelete