Monday, November 4, 2013

A Salute to Veterans


  

Each November 11, the United States observes a federal holiday to honor the service of veterans.   The date is significant, because on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, the Armistice that ended World War I was signed.  Sadly, World War I was not "the war to end all wars," and each generation has had its own war, creating new waves of veterans.   

So on this Shameless Commerce Tuesday, I have decided to showcase items that could help welcome home a returning veteran – or bring some cheer to a veteran of World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam Conflict, Desert Storm, or the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This patriotic bunting would add a festive touch to a welcome home celebration for a returning veteran.



Perhaps there’ll be a barbecue, with hamburgers, homemade potato salad, and apple pie.  This red, white and blue chevron oven mitt would be perfect for such an occasion (or a Patriots tailgate party).


Perhaps there is a new baby in the family that a returning veteran will meet for the first time.  Wouldn’t baby be cute in this stars and stripes bib?


My local quilt guild supports Quilts of Valor by creating red, white and blue quilts to give to wounded warriors and to families of those who died in combat. Over 91,500 quilts have been donated through QOV nationwide.

Too often, I think, Veteran’s Day has become just another 3-day weekend -- a reason to promote a sale at a big box store or car dealership, or a "bonus" day to rake leaves. But I hope that this Veteran’s Day we can take a minute to pause and give thanks to a veteran --and to pray that one day wars will cease.

TTFN
LeAnn



3 comments:

  1. Great items for any patriotic holiday! I did not know that about all the 11s. I very special holiday indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom always referred to Veteran's Day as Armistice Day.

      Delete
  2. Your items are great!
    Tomorrow, I will speak with my brother and thank him for his service.

    ReplyDelete