Monday, July 25, 2011

Family Heirloom Needlepoint Footstool

The footstool pictured above was given to my mother Janice Quist in 1936, when she was six years old.  I image my mom standing on this school to pick a dress from her closet or to look at herself in an oval mirror hung above a dresser as she got ready for school as a first grader.  She later became an elementary school teacher.

 

The wooden base has this penciled message:  Janice Anna 1936.  Yarn bought in 1889 by Grandma Becker. 

 

The legs of the stool are black metal harness hooks screwed to a wooden base.  The top has a colorful needlepoint design worked in wool yarns.  I have always loved this colorful little stool.    As a quilter, it reminds me of a miniature tile quilt, with the strips of black separating separately stitched blocks.   Whatever great-great-relative stitched this little gem, I admire her sense of color and design.

 

TTFN

LeAnn aka pasqueflower

http://pasqueflowerponderings.com

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pasqueflower

 

1 comment:

  1. What a special thing to pass down. With those black legs, they are right in style now. Love the colorful top.

    ReplyDelete