Sunday, June 24, 2012

She Sells Sea Shells By the Sea Shore

The June Challenge theme for the Blogging Business Artisans Team is "Under the Sea."  I created this small sea shell zipper pouch for that challenge.

Many families will be heading for the beach this summer, and what beach combing child (or adult) doesn't love to collect sea shells?  This little padded zipper pouch will protect those precious shells.  I sandwiched a layer of fusible fleece between the outer fabric and  lining fabric for extra softness and structure, but also as a cushion for items that may be carried inside.

The fabric is high quality cotton fabric from the Marine collection by Lecien Fabrics-Japan.  The fabric features blue seashells and starfish on a creamy white background.  The lining is a novelty print resembling ocean ripples in shades of deep blue, turquoise and aqua.  I used a polyester zipper from my favorite zipper supplier, ZipIt:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/zipit.  The one-inch (2.54 cm) turquoise and gold medallion metal zipper pull is also from ZipIt.

This little bag measures 6.5 inches (16.5 cm) at the top, 4.5 inches (11.4 cm) at the base, and it is 2 inches (5 cm) wide.  You can find it in my shop, Pasque Flower Creations: https://www.etsy.com/listing/102887032/sea-shell-zipper-pouch-seashell-keeper?ref=pr_shop

Although I designed this pouch as a seashell keeper, it could also be used to carry a camera, cell phone, cash, keys, and credit cards, or other necessities.  And it would make a lovely little bridesmaid gift for a beach wedding.  My son Tim and his wife Carrie are celebrating their anniversary today - June 24. They were married  on the beach at the Emerson Inn in Rockport, MA on a beautiful 72-degree sunny day.  A happy memory!

TTFN
LeAnn aka pasqueflower
http://www.etsy.com/shop/pasqueflower
http://www.facebook.com/pasqueflower
http://pasqueflowerponderings.blogspot.com

11 comments:

  1. You have met this challenge well! The bag is adorable and your zipper is perfect!

    Ever since I started my addiction of making zipper bags, I check out everyone's zippers. I think I've become a zipper snob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is actually a really good idea! I haven't seen a bag out there specifically for carrying seashells. Way to be an inovator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! You're right, it can be used to keep lots of different treasuries! Love the beach wedding idea :)
    The zipper pull finishes it off perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet little summer pouch, LeAnn. One of these days I am going to practice on zippers again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet little pouch! It fits the challenge perfectly. Happy anniversary to your son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great pouch. Very summery and beachy. The button pull is the perfect finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your little pouch, and the fact that it can be used multiple ways. Beautiful, refreshing fabric design, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful pouch. And such a cute charm on the zipper. I always collect sea shells when I go to the beach - and bring home a bunch of sand that never seems to get out of my clothes. Much prettier than a plastic bag. {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a very cool pouch! My favorite thing to do at the beach is collect shells and whatever one can find rusty and unusual. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sweet little pouch -- I love sea shells and this is definitely perfect for collecting them! Great challenge project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute, and so perfect for the theme. I love that print!

    ReplyDelete