Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Elf Wanted!



The Christmas rush is getting a bit CRAZY!  I could really use an elf.  It wouldn't have to be one of Santa's elves -- I'm sure they're a bit crazy this time of year, too.  Any old elf would do.  (I tried to convince my hubby, who looks more like Santa than an elf, to help me cut out oven mitt innards, but he must have had his hearing aids turned off.)

One of my favorite stories as a little girl was The Elves and the Shoemaker, a fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm.  My mother used to read it to my little brother and me.  (Another favorite was A Child’s Garden of Verse by Robert Louis Stevenson.)

 As I remember the story, every night when a poor shoemaker went to bed, two little elves would come and sew the shoes he’d cut out.  With the help from the elves he was able to make more shoes, and attract more customers, and soon he had a successful little shop.  So to thank the elves for the private bailout, the shoemaker’s wife sewed them cute little elf outfits.  And they all lived happily ever after.

Hmmm -- When I leave unquilted chevron oven mitts on the sewing table at night, no little elves have shown up to quilt them for me. . ..


But actually, I have four cute little elves living in my girl cave at the moment.  Even though they can't sew, they do make me smile.  Their bodies and shirts and feet are fleece, so they are also soft and cuddly.



They’ll be coming with me to the Crestwood Craft Fair on Saturday.  They were made using the Wendy Witch & Ethan Elf PDF pattern  from Precious Patterns.  



The designer allows items made from her patterns to be sold in limited quantities.  (Probably one of the reasons she’s had over 15,000 sales!)

Well, since I don’t have a REAL elf, I’d better sign off and sew!


TTFN
LeAnn aka pasqueflower

8 comments:

  1. If you find any of those real elves...send one my way!
    But the stuffed ones are sure cute :)
    Good luck at your show this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those elves are so cute -- surely they will help you out! If they do, send one my way too -- I can use all the elf help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable!!! Do they come alive at night to help you work????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep thinking I'll get up in the morning and the elves would have done the decorating. So far it hasn't happened!
    Your stuffed elves are just the cutest little things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This little elf patter is sew cute! I never understood people selling patterns that you could not reproduce for sale. If pattern makers would just require that they get credit on the finished item, everyone would be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cute little elves, I am sure they will be a big hit at your craft fair this weekend. Have a great show!
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes! We could all use some elfly assistance!
    Today, I taught kids how to draw elves in my cartoon class.
    You elves are so very cute. Too bad they can't cut fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your elf! It's hard to believe that I only have one. He sits on my shelves in the hall and holds about 100 mini candy canes. Hmmmm, just one elf. I'm going to have to work on that. I think next year will be my elf year!

    Your elves are adorable. I'm familiar with Precious Patterns. Those are a couple of talented ladies!

    ReplyDelete