Saturday, December 6, 2014

Saving the Best for Last

This St. Nicholas Day (December 6, I was a vendor at Crestwood Christian Church.  It was my last craft fair of 2014.

I arrived before dawn for the early morning set-up.  (Big yawn.) All systems were "go."  The weather was relatively mild.  There was no competing Husker football game.  I was assigned a table in a great location.   And, best of all -- it was right next to my former craft fair "neighbor," Nicole Moffett Shulde.  You can see photos of some of Nicole's beautiful artwork on her web page, Nicole's Creative Flair.   Many of her pieces incorporate upcycled elements.

Set up went smoothly, and I was able to snap one quick photo before the doors opened at 9:00 am. 



I had planned to take a few more pictures -- but I am happy to report that I was too busy to leave my booth!   We had a steady stream of buyers throughout the day.

As always, at local shows, the small and inexpensive items were my biggest sellers --- cord keepers, key fobs, and finger puppets.  I also nearly sold out of holiday table runners and pencil-shaped zipper pouches.

I had promoted the event as a place to stock up on stocking stuffers.  (By now -- after Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday-- several shoppers have probably checked off the big items on their list, but still need to pick up little gifts and stocking stuffers.)  I bought printable Christmas stockings which I posted on some of my price cards as a not so subtle hint: "Psst!  This would be a great stocking stuffer."

The committee that hosts this event does a great job of promoting the craft fair.  Despite two other competing craft fairs in the area, the CCC's loyal followers turned out in droves.

The hosts treated vendors like special guests.  I was greeted and offered assistance with unloading and set-up.  Free coffee was brewing.  And all vendors were provided COMFORTABLE, padded chairs.

At my last craft fair, I was asked to pay $7.50 for a lunch that consisted of a lukewarm hot dog on a stale bun, a bag of chips, and a soda.  At this show, we were treated to freshly-baked homemade bread and homemade stroganoff delivered to our booths with the beverage of our choice -- for free!

The hosts also treated customers like guests -- with free gift wrapping services, $1.00 per minute chair massages, three raffle drawings, free-will offering lunch, a bake sale, and soft Christmas music. 

When I ran my final tally, I realized this was by far my best craft show of the year -- and my second-best overall.

Icing on the cake -- I came home to find 3 new Etsy orders in my queue! (December sales numbers had been depressingly slow after a tiny positive blip on Black Friday through Cyber Monday.)

A good day -- and a ray of hope!  Now there's something to celebrate!

TTFN
LeAnn





2 comments:

  1. Congrats on all your fairs sales! I'm so happy for you! I know how much work involved to do such event and kudos to you for make it happen! Enjoy your restful day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! what a great show! I quit a show this year that I have been doing for over 5 years because the hosts got worse and worse. No advertising, nothing, besides the table fee going way up! glad your last show was a good one!

    ReplyDelete