Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Keep Calm and Carry On

The print pictured above was purchased from http://www.etsy.com/shop/KeepCalmPosters.  It  is one of the inspiring pieces of art I display prominently in my Girl Cave.   On those days when I'm feeling overwhelmed, it reminds me to stay focused.

 
According to Wikipedia, "The original design was a poster produced by the British government in 1939 during the beginning of the Second World War, intended to raise the morale of the British public in the event of invasion. It was little known and never used. The poster was rediscovered in 2000…" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On

 

I confess to having difficulty sometimes with the "Keep Calm" admonition.   I tend to stuff anger, so when I explode, it can be like Mt. Vesuvius!  And sometimes it's hard not to fret and stew—just a little.  Don't worry, be happy, is easier sung than done. Thank you, Bobby McFerrin!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv-Fk1PwVeU&feature=related

 

I do fairly well in the "Carry On" department.  I learned to carry on early in life, when my father died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 43.  I was 14. My dad was kind-hearted, generous, hardworking and honest.  He also had an incredible baritone voice and loved to sing.  He always maintained his sense of humor and sense of perspective, and never lost faith or abandoned hope.  After his death  I carried on,  and I've kept on keepin' on ever  since.  He would have expected no less. 

 

I've sometimes (deservedly so) been described as stubborn.  My late mother would have attributed that character trait to my Danish heritage.  Both my grandfathers were the sons of Danish immigrants, and my mom used to mutter "stubborn Dane" when I was being particularly headstrong.  Although stubbornness  tends to have a negative connotation, it can be a virtue.  I consider stubbornness to be one of my strengths, actually, rather than a character flaw.  The positive twin  (I'm a Gemini) of stubbornness is determination.

 

Stubbornness, faith, courage, and reason can overcome many obstacles.  Keeping a sense of humor and a sense of perspective can lighten any load.  Keep calm and carry on!

 

TTFN (Ta Ta for Now)

LeAnn aka  pasqueflower

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pasqueflower

No comments:

Post a Comment