Saturday, October 1, 2011

Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative

Last week I participated in an Alzheimer's Walk with members of my church.  I walked in honor of a lovely lady, Estel, the wife of my dad's cousin, who is a victim of this cruel disease and for her children (my age), Jon and Lise, who are left to try to cope.


I want to share another Alzheimer's story.  The incredible and vivacious Ami Simms, well known in the quilting community as a wildly creative, positive, and entertaining quilter, started the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative when her mother was stricken with the disease.  Her mother is now gone, but her memory lives on, and Ami and her dog Scooter Sims continue the good fight to raise money to support Alzheimer's research through quilting.


Volunteers donate small art quilts, no larger than 9"x12" (to fit in a Priority Mail envelope), which are auctioned online to raise funds for Alzheimer's Research.    One of my little quilts (pictured above), Retro Curb Appeal, which I made in 2006 sold for $80. Forgive the photo quality.  The photos were taken before I bought my current digital camera, and what you see is a photo of a poor quality photo from my quilt journal.  Sorry.


To learn more about the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, visit: www.alzquilts.org.  To watch a short video about Ami and AAQI, go to www.thequiltshow.com and click on Watch Shows tab and then select Free Shows from the drop-down menu. http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/shows.php/free_shows/1/#tabs.


TTFN

LeAnn aka pasqueflower

http://pasqueflowerponderings.blogspot.com

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pasqueflower

5 comments:

  1. Excellent cause, thank you for the link

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great cause! I love the quilt in the picture. Palm trees and flamingos are always a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone has had any experience with the disease, they know what a great cause it is. I love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your AAQI story and for donating your quilt, LeAnn. Hugs.
    Fannie, one of many AAQI volunteers

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful cause, LeAnn. I love your quilt.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete