Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Me and My Peeps

It's Shameless Commerce Tuesday, and today I'd like to share a cute little reversible baby bib.  The colorful little chicks fabric was an impulse buy -- too cute to leave in the store.  The little birds reminded me of
Peeps -- a traditional Easter candy in the US and Canada.


Peeps are marshmallow candies, shaped into chicks (and now other animals), made from sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, and various food dyes.  They've been around as long as I have.  According to Wikipedia: 

Peeps are produced by Just Born, a candy manufacturer founded in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, by Russian immigrant Sam Born. In 1953, Just Born acquired the Rodda Candy Company and its marshmallow chick line, and replaced the painstaking process of hand-forming the chicks with mass production. When founder Sam Born would display a sign for his freshly-made candy, he would title it "Just Born," playing off of his last name and the fact that he made his candy fresh daily.


Peeps are no longer made fresh daily!  I think that's one of the reason they were never my favorite Easter candy.  Cadbury Eggs are my fave, hands down. Peeps always had a strange chewy texture.  But they were cute, cute, cute!

The reverse side of the bib is a beautiful oval elements fabric by Art Gallery Fabrics:


It's a busy week in my little Etsy shop!!  I've already had more orders in the last 5 days than I had during the entire month of February, and 3 custom orders in the works.  I'm working 8:00 am - 8:00 pm at my day jobs the next two days, so there'll be lots of late night and early morning sewing.  Grateful to be busy, though.

TTFN
LeAnn

12 comments:

  1. The fabric is ADORABLE! No wonder you couldn't resist! Interesting story about the "peeps". I've never seen those here before.
    Congrats on the sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Duni! Just loved those whimsical little birds.

      Delete
  2. Such cute fabric, I can see why you couldn't leave it behind in the store! Peeps are too sweet and marshmallowy for me... but they are cute! Interesting bit of history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the front is perfect for Easter and the back is great all year long :)
    Congrats on all those sales! But I hope you get a little time to rest in there as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to make my seasonal bibs with an "all-season" reverse side fabric. It will be a hectic week, but I have Sunday off at the tax office, so hope to regroup then.

      Delete
  4. Oh, that fabric is just too cute and perfect for a bib! I don't care for Peeps but always thought they were cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand that you could not pass up that fabric, it is soooooo cute!! I love that print, but I have never liked Peeps but they are super cute.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  6. so glad to hear that you are getting sales! I don't like peeps, either, but I have a SIL that loves them--can't wait for Easter to get his peeps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha.Ha. So many of us seem to dislike Peeps -- but there must be more people out there like your SIL since they have survived for 61 years.

      Delete