Monday, March 17, 2014

St. Patrick's Day - A New Take on Corned Beef & Cabbage


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

My hubby and I celebrated a day early, because I'll be working on the real St. Patrick's Day.  He/s 31/32 Finnish and I'm half Dane, but I'm a wee bit Irish, thanks to my paternal grandmother Pheba, who inspired my Aunt Pheba's Vintage shop on Etsy.

Hubby is a meat and potatoes kind of guy who hates veggies and tolerates fruit. He loves corned beef and cabbage and Reuben sandwiches (corned beef and sauerkraut).

This year I decided to mix it up a bit.  Instead of traditional corned beef and cabbage, I made Atlanta Brisket in the crock pot, using a recipe from Family Circle magazine:

photo by Family Circle


Atlanta Brisket

2 sweet onions, sliced
1 beef brisket (about 3 pounds), trimmed
1 packet (1 oz) dry onion soup mix
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1 can of cola (12 oz.)

Coat the bottom of the crock pot with nonstick cooking spray. Place onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Season the brisket with the dry onion soup mix and place on top of the onions.  Combine the ketchup and cola and pour over the brisket.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.


Remove the brisket to a cutting board and allow to cool 10 minutes.  Slice against the grain.

Instead of cooked cabbage, we had coleslaw with mashed potatoes and rye bread on the side.

Hubby gave it 5 stars, and he reminded me that brisket will go on sale after St. Patrick's Day, so perhaps I should buy some for the freezer.  I'm not a fan of brisket, but hey-- it only took about 10 minutes to make.  And I need to keep the hubby well-fed and happy so he'll keep whittling away at my scrap heap.
He's made incredible progress, cutting a couple of hours every day while I'm at work!

Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

TTFN
LeAnn





11 comments:

  1. Love your cheerful green banner!
    That dish is something my hubby would enjoy also. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Duni. The banners sold out in 1 week, and the store where I'd purchased my focus fabric had sold out of the fabric so I couldn't make more. NEXT YEAR I'll be better prepared!

      Delete
  2. Happy St Patrick's Day to you! That recipe sounds delicious and sounds like something we would enjoy at this house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sher. Definitely quick and easy.

      Delete
  3. Happy St. Patty's Day :) The brisket sounds good...and I love quick and easy recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick and easy is about ALL the cooking I do during tax season! I love recipes where I can dump everything in one pot.

      Delete
  4. We're really not celebrating at all. It probably doesn't help that my fiancé has to be at work from this morning until tomorrow evening! Or that he's Cuban. As it turns out, everyone isn't Irish on St. Patrick's Day! I'm part Irish, though, and will be having potatoes with supper. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potatoes are a comfort food. He works some crazy hours -- but absence makes the heart grow fonder?

      Delete
  5. I was traveling yesterday, so, no celebrating for me! Glad to be home now. Love the banner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you made it back safely! My banners sold out a week after listing. A happy surprise.

      Delete