Monday, July 28, 2014

Baby Elephant Walk?

As a Baby Boomer, I am old enough to remember the song Baby Elephant Walk by Henry Mancini.  It was a whimsical instrumental, composed as theme music for a 1962 John Wayne movie, Hatari.

That song came to mind as I was sewing a custom order using cute baby elephant fabric designed by Tim & Beck for Moda fabrics.   I had used the fabric for a baby bib I have listed in my Etsy shop.  But my Canadian customer asked me to make two oven mitts and a matching potholder out of the fabric -- to match her 1950s teal stove!


So on this Shameless Commerce Tuesday, I've decided to share that custom order with y'all (one of two custom challenges I worked on this past weekend):


I would never have thought to use that fabric for oven mitts -- but they are kinda cute, if I do say so myself.


In addition to my two custom orders, I also sewed 17 more reversible cotton baby bibs -- most od them were to restock sold listings.   Granddaughter Erin will hammer on the capped metal snaps this weekend.  I hope to have a few more sewn by then.

 
 
The bibs show below will be NEW listings in the Baby Bibs and Blankets section of my Etsy shop once the snaps are attached and I get them photographed:
 
 
I'm not usually a huge owl fan -- but these colorful little owls designed by Greta Lynn were just too cute!  I also love those cute little baby blue pickup trucks from the Tiny Trucks collection by Michael Miller Fabrics.  The abstract floral is a colorful fabric designed by Rashida Coleman Hale for her Washi fabric line.  It's been in my stash awhile (too pretty to cut)--but I finally decided to make some cute and contemporary little girl bibs -- but I saved a bit for zipper pouches.
 
Speaking of zipper pouches --- I've got some REALLY fun back-to-school pouches in the works. They'd also make great holiday stocking stuffers. Check back on Thursday for a sneak peek!
 
TTFN
LeAnn
 





12 comments:

  1. I love elephant fabrics and yours is especially cute!! Love your little handmade tags too, and looking forward to seeing your zipper pouches :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the owls and the elephants. I think you find the cutest fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute fabric...and I'm jealous of your customer's teal stove!
    Love the little blue trucks for the baby bib as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of Jesse, actually, when I found that fabric! Boys and their trucks. Grandson Henry's firs word was truck.

      Delete
  4. so much cute fabric! I do like the elephant kitchen items.
    I agree with Duni--great "handmade" tags!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret! Granddaughter Erin helps me assemble those tags-She's my Marketing & Production Assistant (ha!).

      Delete
  5. You have done a very great job in these bibs! The elephant one is my favorite. It's so cute and the color is attractive. Perfect choice of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not familiar with that song (I'll go Google it) but I dig the fabric! You're on a roll with those bibs, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paige! I'm through my current Bib Phase -- on to zipper pouches!

      Delete