Friday, May 18, 2012

Hittin' the Dusty Trail



Some days it is just too doggone nice to stay inside!  So this week my new biking buddy Terri and I hit the dusty MoPac Trail east of Lincoln, NE, and went for a beautiful 8.2 mile bike ride.

The MoPac is part of the Rails to Trails program, where abandoned railroad right of way is turned into trails and paths for bikers, hikers, and horseback riders: http://www.railstotrails.org.   The path shown above is part of what used to be the Missouri Pacific Railroad's Omaha Belt Line.  It is a crushed stone trail that winds through prairie, woodland and farm land for about 22 miles, through the little towns of Walton, Eagle, Elmwood, and Wabash.  The crushed stone creates a white powdery dust, so at the end of a ride my bike looks as if it had been attacked by a giant flour sifter.

One of the highlights of the ride was seeing prairie wildflowers, wild roses and sweet clover in bloom.  Near our turn-around point, we spotted a huge patch of wild daisies.  Aren't they cheery?


A few years ago, my daughter Allison and I rode all the way to the end of the trail near Wabash - over 44 miles round trip.  I'm WAY too out of shape for that now!  But it is good to be back on the dusty trail.

Hope you find some time to go play outside this weekend.

TTFN
LeAnn aka pasqueflower

http://pasqueflowerponderings.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/pasqueflower
http://www.facebook.com/pasqueflower





7 comments:

  1. What a great idea for them to use the old rail system! Looks like a nice, well-maintainted path.
    Good for you for getting out and enjoying this beautiful weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Prescott, AZ, there was a similar multi-use trail formed along an old railroad line. I looked it up - Peavine Trail - and sure enough, it's listed on the website you linked to.

    I think it is wonderful when communities convert these old, long abandoned railways to public use and recreation areas; it says a lot about the quality of the town, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! It is great to get out and enjoy the day! It is great when communities have trails. We have quite a few up here in my neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you've reminded me to get out my bike and pump up the tires just as soon as it stops raining! Biking was one of my favorite activities as a kid and my sole means of transportation during most of college :)

    This trail looks a lot nicer than just riding on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great spot. Love the daisies!

    Etsy Blog Team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I could say the same. It has been raining for 2 days and looks like there is no end in sight. I am jealous:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place to ride! What beautiful flowers.

    @Sonya - the Peavine Trail is still in Prescott =)

    ReplyDelete