Thursday, May 31, 2012

Wildflowers on the MoPac


Today I am sharing photos of wildflowers I snapped on a bike ride on the MoPac East Trail near Lincoln, Nebraska. The wild roses were nearly out of season, but I found a few hidden in the grass.


Wild daisies were still in full bloom, but so were these dainty look-alikes:


These pretty little purple flowers were growing up the wall of a giant culvert we call "the tunnel" -- about 4.1 miles from the trail head:


This unusual plant was in full bloom all along the trail.  I have no idea what it is, but it reminds me a little of Lotta Jonsdatter's fabric (my fellow fabric addicts will know what I mean):


And finally, there is a noxious weed -- a thistle.  But as much of a nuisance it is to farmers and County Weed Boards, I love its vibrant purple color:


That's all for today.  I'm heading off to the Lincoln Children's Zoo with the three grandsons.

TTFN
LeAnn aka pasqueflower
http://pasqueflowerponderings.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/pasqueflower
http://www.facebook.com/pasqueflower

6 comments:

  1. I love wildflower season! It's my favorite time of the year, for sure :).

    Your "daisy look-alike" is actually a daisy - one of many species known as "fleabane daisies".

    Your purple flower growing by the culvert looks like a Wallflower (we have a yellow version out here).

    Your second purple flower is a Showy Milkweed. Be sure to check back regularly, as it is a favorite flower for swallowtails and other butterflies, and is of course the larval foodplant of the monarch butterfly.

    Have a great time at the zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live in upper Missouri, where there are continuos rolling hills and lots of wildflowers. We had some of these and a few more that I remember. Thanks for sharing your ride scenery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking us on your journey! Gorgeous flowers. Have fun at the zoo today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I actually just made some curtains and throw pillows out of some of her fabric:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually like thistles too...whoops!

    ReplyDelete