Wednesday, May 9, 2012

LaQuincia's Art




I am a TeamMates mentor to a delightful 6th grader named LaQuincia.   TeamMates is similar to Big Brothers/Big Sisters, but it's a Nebraska-based organization founded by former Husker football coach and current UNL Athletic Director Tom Osborne and his wife: http://www.teammates.org. .

On my last visit, I brought my camera.  I truly admire LaQuincia’s artwork, and wanted to take some photos.  While we roamed the halls of the middle school snapping photos, we also walked the counselor’s therapy dog, Gilda:




Here is a ceramic tile piece I love:




And here is LaQuincia's collage interpretation of the Beatles song Strawberry Fields Forever (the song was way before her time---but I love her collage):




We’ve done some sewing together over the past couple of years, so on May 19, I’ll be taking LaQuincia and her mom and little sis on an approved field trip to a quilt show with over 300 quilts.  The show also has a special category for quilts sewn by kids, and I’m hoping maybe she’ll be inspired to create one with me as an ongoing 2012-13 academic year project.   I know she’ll enjoy seeing fabric used as an art medium.

TTFN
LeAnn aka pasqueflower

6 comments:

  1. What a great organization to volunteer with! Her work is great and I hope she'll make a quilt for next year's show :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for what you are doing. What an adorable girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, she has a great future in the arts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the birthday wishes. your volunteer work is wonderful, so generous of you. Hope your mother's day went spectacularly, I look forward to seeing you around the blogosphere!
    Best,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...what a cool kid! Sounds like both of you are lucky:) Thanks for all of the comments you've left on my blog lately- sorry I haven't been able to return the favor as frequently- all caught up in painting our house! But I'm back in action now.

    ReplyDelete