Sunday, May 6, 2012

Tree House - Live Free or Die Part 5




This is the final in a series of posts about my recent trip to New Hampshire, April 27-30, 2012 – Arbor Day weekend.   I saw lots of trees on Arbor Day – and a tree house in progress.  When my brother saw this photo he said, “That’s not a tree house---it’s a tree castle!”

My son and daughter-in-law have contracted with their friend Rob the Builder (hmmm-wonder if he’s related to Bob?) to build a first rate tree house.  My son sold off some of his prize baseball cards to help bankroll the project.  It was still a work in progress when I visited, but it will have a porch rail, a deluxe ladder, maps and an Audubon bird poster on the walls, and comfy pillows or cushions for reading.

In keeping with the tree house theme, I gave the kids a DVD of Walt Disney’s version of Swiss Family Robinson (1960): http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Family-Robinson-Disney-Collection/dp/B00005RRG7/ref.  That classic family film also featured an impressive tree house  and decoration – and Garrison loved the pirate scenes. 

I never had a tree house, but I spent many summer hours nestled in a comfortable spot in a huge weeping willow tree at the edge of our garden overlooking a small duck pond on our farm.  It was cool and shady, and a perfect place to read.  I loved to hear the willow leaves rustling in the wind.

Did you have a favorite “alone” place as a child?

TTFN
LeAnn aka  pasqueflower

4 comments:

  1. I love tree houses, I'm sure your son and daughter-in-law will love theirs when it's finished being built, it sounds awesome!

    Love your story about spending time in the Weeping Willow tree as a kid! We have several weeping willows on our property and I just love them. There is something so magical about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had a favorite outdoor space when I was younger since we moved quiet a bit. I do remember the old brownstone we moved into after my parent's divorce. My Sis and I would hang out in the hallway and sit up on the big banisters. They sure don't make railings like that anymore. The wood on the railings were about 6" thick! It was a three story, probably built in the late 1800's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's going to be an awesome tree house! I wish my kids could have had something like that when they were growing up. When I was growing up, my fave alone place was my grandmother's sleeping porch. We visited every couple of years and it was always a big deal with all the relatives coming. I could always escape to the porch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... Blog comment backlinks

    ReplyDelete